It is currently 19 Apr 2019 03:07

All times are UTC

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Delete or Keep?
Poll ended at 23 Sep 2012 22:07
Delete 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
Keep 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 15
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012 17:54 
(>Nutter<)

No one is wanting to screen anything from the outside world? All I'm saying is that it could be an option for a new member to introduce themselves before they are granted full access to the forum.

And I agree with Itz, one or two posts is something.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012 20:20 
(>Nutter<)

You would never delete The Cleaner or Mamba? :cry: :cry: :cry:

I Prefer to be unorganized on the forum, as our guys generally do drop in and out. That is how it should be. Chill :D :D

Wont do any harm to keep the present system. No pressure to post.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012 21:30 
Whole Nut

I don't think JJ is proposing deleting people we know. Just complete unknowns who have registered, but we have no idea who they are.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012 21:51 
(>Nutter<)

Quote:
I don't think JJ is proposing deleting people we know. Just complete unknowns who have registered, but we have no idea who they are.
Ok that sounds a good idea. Silly me. :oops:

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012 22:00 
(>Nutter<)

Or we could deactivate their accounts and force them to activate them again. In this case they would get an email and no one would be deleted.

And Daz, come on :!: :roll: Keep up. :P It's all in the topic title....

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012 22:59 
(>Nutter<)

My answer from using other Forums is be very careful when pruning. And give fair notice of what you intend to do.Last thing you want is "You deleted my great Uncle Desmond who visits every day. But YOUR Aunty Boom who came on 4 years ago and said "F@ck you JJ" is allowed to stay.
Ok ignore the names and just think before you go ahead with any Pruning then make it Prominent at Front Page and say something like. "It has been decided by the senior members to delete any member who has not posted on this board during the first "X" months of their membership". The deleting of unsporting non posting members will start one month forward from today's date.

Dazmond "Should I go sniper"

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012 16:20 
(>Nutter<)

I don't get it what's the big deal with re-registering?
Sure it is yet another webform that you fill and activate your email for, but besides that?
If someone is infact visiting without posting they'll reregister and maybe will post something this time.

I think that deleting all zero post members (older than a week or a month at most) right now won't be such an issue. I bet none of them will notice.

In case someone who hasn't posted anything, but is reading this right now, I want to say to him/her: YOU ARE A CREEPY FELLOW, MATE! GO IN THE APPROPRIATE THREAD AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF!!!

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012 17:32 
(>Nutter<)

Although the voting is 8 to 3 in favour of deleting, I believe I have found the answer! :D

We won't have to delete anyone :) ;) In the forum options there is an option to put all new members into a new group, determined by post count. So I could set all members with zero posts to members of the 'newly registered users' group. Then I could set the permissions of that group to be the same as non registered members. Then once they have posted and introduced themselves they will automatically become 'registered members' and have full access to the forum.

What do you think to that?

Obviously I would have to find away of making registering individuals aware of this. I think that would be simple enough by editing the email that is automatically generated when you are confirming your email address or in the terms and conditions one agrees to when signing up.

Simple :!: :)

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012 17:34 
Crunchy Nut

Purge the unclean!
Attachment:
purge_the_unclean_by_theonyn-d36ki7t.jpg
Paremia lex retro non agit
I think it's better to limit their access and send them a polite email about the terms of full membership.

Edit:
Great idea jj, you see sobriety is a good thing :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012 18:04 
(>Nutter<)

Make sure the thread about self introduction is visible for zero post members.
Keep in mind that people that visit a forum with only a "general chit chat" section might be less inclined to register in the first place.

Also I am moving this to "Suggestion Box" as I just noticed we had such section (had to logout to notice it :D )

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012 18:19 
(>Nutter<)

I thought there was a 'read this' topic on the top of each forum with the disclaimer and all that?

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012 21:31 
Pea Nut

This is a good idea, it encourages members to post and be an active member of our little community instead of just lurking.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012 21:32 
(>Nutter<)

I approve of JJ's latest idea. Now get it done!

HI HO SILVER, AWAYYYYYYYYYYY.

If you say "plz" because it is shorter than please, then I'll say "no" because it is shorter than yes.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2012 00:26 
Crunchy Nut

Quote:
So I could set all members with zero posts to members of the 'newly registered users' group. Then I could set the permissions of that group to be the same as non registered members.
Isn't it means screening rest of the forum from newly registered members? If so, this is a bad idea, I think. When I registered here I was attracted by content which I could read despite my zero posts status. After this I found appropriate to introduce myself here. If I considered this forum uninteresting, I would never have done that.

If I correctly understanding your idea, I think, after start of this new rule you'll greatly reduce inflow of new members and Nutters will become closed elitist community which is doomed to death without fresh blood. This is a dead end road.
Quote:
Then once they have posted and introduced themselves they will automatically become 'registered members' and have full access to the forum.
Ask yourself: why new member should want to introduce himself on a forum most of which is closed for him? He must have a very strong motivation for that.

I vote for free and open community. If you want to build a sandbox for close friends, do as you want. But if you want to attract new people there is no need for additional restrictions and barriers.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2012 01:43 
(>Nutter<)

Theresa you're making mountains out of molehills. There's plenty of stuff the new-user can see and read apart from the lazynutter subforum.

Ask yourself this, if such a person lacks motivation to post anything like you said, should we 'really' want him or her on the forums?
Having access to people's pictures and whatnot shouldn't be the push that people need to actually make a post.

Besides, if we implement this now, (and we will) and make a proper global announcement I'm sure everything will be fine.

If you say "plz" because it is shorter than please, then I'll say "no" because it is shorter than yes.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next