It is currently 19 Apr 2019 03:09

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008 10:48 
(>Nutter<)

While playing as Medic last night I had an awesome Uber experience with Sponge. I was wondering what the best way of capturing in-game footage is? In the hope of repeating a classic moment it would be nice to try and save it.

Thanks

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008 13:02 
(>Nutter<)

I had a classic uber with Sponge also recently, but forgot to press the bloody record key..Doh!

TF2 has its own buit in recorder system, but i dont know much about it.

I use fraps for the movies ive recorded, link here:

http://www.fraps.com/

Ive found it impossible to snipe and film, as its too laggy. Seems ok as heavy and medic so ubers are fine :) I use windows movie maker to edit the footage, which comes with windows xp (god bless xp).

Good luck! hopefully u will be sending me a movie for the website mate :)

BTW u will need plenty of hard disk space and a decent specced pc.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008 14:34 
(>Nutter<)

Cheers,

I'm running Vista 32, which I found to be an upgrade to XP (once I got it tweaked). And X2 6000+, 8800GT and 3gigs of 6400 ram with 2 hard drives totalling 750gig.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008 16:21 
(>Nutter<)

You are sorted then, gratz!

;)

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2008 18:31 
Crunchy Nut

This is what I do, everytime i join lazytown i record by writing "record demoname" in the console, then if I do something special i view the demo by typing "playdemo demoname" in the console, and you can see all the footage again in-game.

Then i use fraps to record from the demo,

Using fraps all the time makes the game lag and uses ALOT of disc space. The in-built "record" feature in TF2 doesn't make any difference in lag. (And some hours of lazytown uses around 50-100 MB in filesize of the demo, so it's basictly nothing :D )

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2008 19:49 
(>Nutter<)

Thats really useful info Popit thanks :) Its extremely laggy using fraps in game.

When u finished playing, do u need to create a server to play the demo back and record it using fraps? How do you do it? Can it be fast forwarded etc

Please send some footage youve done for our web site movies? :)

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2008 20:03 
Crunchy Nut

Quote:
Thats really useful info Popit thanks :) Its extremely laggy using fraps in game.

When u finished playing, do u need to create a server to play the demo back and record it using fraps? How do you do it? Can it be fast forwarded etc

Please send some footage youve done for our web site movies? :)
You do not need a server or anything complicated to play a demo, all you need is the map the demo was recorded on :D

Simply write "Playdemo demoname" in the console and it will sort itself out.

Also i forgot, after you started the demo, write "demoui" and "demoui2" in console and you get two boxes where you can do slowmotion/fastmotion and jump to any part of the demo. You can also pause and unpause.

I got all my TF2 videos on youtube, i can send you the links in PM :mrgreen: Then you can put it up on the web site.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2008 20:10 
(>Nutter<)

Sounds good Popit :)

I'll give this a try.

I recorded a few bits with fraps, but nothing worth posting yet :(

As mentioned, while running it does seem to knock my fps down a bit (30-40), and that's at half size.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2008 01:21 
Whole Nut

viewdemo demoname also gives you controls to pause, fast-forward, slow-motion etc instead of playdemo. Well, it certainly did in TFC and I can't see this being any different. It's just like playdemo but with controls. :)

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008 10:14 
Crunchy Nut

Really nice to know.. I never remember to press the capture key before its too late when something cool happens.. so its better to just keep recording all the time, but fraps wont capture for more than 30secs unless you buy it..

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2008 12:52 
Crunchy Nut

I didnt get the "viewdemo" command to work.. but here's: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Help:Recording_demos all the info you'll ever need to record with the source recorder..

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2009 12:41 
Crunchy Nut

I was looking for ways to capture in game footage, but I didn't want to use fraps since it affects the game performance such as making it really jerky. The other method of course would be to record a demo, but once there is the next tf2 update(s) the demo you have recorded will become unplayable. So I stumbled across this website which explains how to record your in game footage and convert it to .avi or whichever format afterwards so that it doesn't become unplayable in the future. Oh and if you find that you are having the problem of taking screenshots but they aren't showing in your screenshots folder, then recording demos, pausing at the frame/screenshot you wanted and then taking a screenshot from there is a way to guarantee you will never miss a screenshot again :) .

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2688825

I know there's a lot of info on that page but it's simple enough to understand. Good Luck :)

Celestial is the coolest guy that has ever lived!

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2009 13:10 
(>Nutter<)

n1 m8.. seems pretty straightforward ;)

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2009 18:11 
(>Nutter<)

Quote:
Oh and if you find that you are having the problem of taking screenshots but they aren't showing in your screenshots folder, then recording demos, pausing at the frame/screenshot you wanted and then taking a screenshot from there is a way to guarantee you will never miss a screenshot again :)
Keep in mind there are some issues with playing a demo file. The demo records in which moment what happened according to the engine in a text file and then renders it again, that is why it is 10x smaller than an uncompressed video of the game. It records the moment and the keys players press, and things like that but it doesn't keep up track with the ongoing sounds and animations which can lead to some discrepancies when using pause. That is to say it recorded that at 1:05:20 that Cleaner used a taunt and will play the taunt for as long as it should but if you pause at 1:05:21 for example it won't guarantee you that this is the exact same frame of the animation as in the original.
An example of what this may lead to: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=103&p=4458#p4458
Hopefully if you pause and reload several times you might get what you want